Hasui, Kawase (1883 - 1957), "Konpira Shrine, Sanuki"
|Title||Konpira Shrine, Sanuki|
|Medium||Original Japanese Woodblock Print|
|Reference No||Hotei #511|
|Size||10 -1/4 x 15 -1/4 "|
|Condition||Very fine, with superb colors.|
Notes: The colors/tones far exceed the example in Hotei. Properly stored and never framed or displayed.
A seldom seen first state impression, with the seal of the printer, Ono Gintaro (Seal A) in the lower right margin. S. Watanabe publisher's 6mm seal in lower right corner of design.
The Konpira shrine, popularly known as the Kotohira shrine, was founded in the early 11th century. It was originally devoted to Konpira Daigongen, a Buddhist-Shinto syncretic deity who had its origins in Kumbhira, the Indian crocodile god of the Ganges. The shrine was popular during the Tokugawa period (1600-1868), and due to its coastal location it was seen as the protector of fishermen and sailors. Sanuki prefecture corresponds to present-day Kagawa prefecture. - Hotei Vol. 1; pg. 123